We just got back from a wonderful week at Panama City Beach for our first "family" vacation. It was a lot of fun - our boys were great (thank you very much Mr. dual DVD players for the van!!). We vacationed in Panama with our dear friends Chris, Katie and Caden Gaither. What a blessing these guys are - we were fortunate to stay at Katie's grandparent's house a few blocks from the beach. We feel a little tired, but mostly refreshed and excited to be home. Here's a few things I learned during my beach vacation:
1. I LOVE THE BEACH (and always will - I never feel God's presence more than when I'm at the beach!!!) Seriously, I'm a total beach bum. BK (before kiddos) I seriously could be at the beach from sun up to sun down and never get tired of it!
2. Sand + seaweed + swim diapers + poop = GROSSSSSSSSSSSness (I mean really gross, but thank goodness for Huggies swim diapers)
3. BK I would have read three books last week and been totally sunkissed. After kiddos, I didn't read one word of a book and loved sitting in the sand looking for crabs and shells. I still got some sun, but sat in the shade quite a bit with the kiddos.
4. My little guy Jonathan eats more than any human I know. Seriously, he would eat a full 5-course meal complete with cheerios, puffs, vegetable beef baby food and crackers and STILL be hungry and mooching off any passer by with a plastic baggie full of sand-proof sandwiches or chips.
5. Seagulls LOVE cheetos and my boys LOVE feeding them (gross to me, but it sure made for some sweet free entertainment)
6. My husband is the BEST daddy in the whole world - trust me I do a lot of people watching and my husband definitely gets the star dad of the year award - complete with long walks down the beach with two slow critters, carrying a 35 pound crying little guy for three hours after a very traumatic boo boo (a teeny tiny scrape on the knee to the average adult, but a full body cast and three surgeries for repair to my sensitive Jacob), taking Jacob and baby Taylor putt putting and go-carting, arranging for our friends the Gaithers to keep our boys so we could enjoy a wonderful night out.... all that while enduring a little stomach bug. Gosh, I sure do love that man.
7. My boys sure do love their big cousin Taylor who accompanied us on our journey to the beach.
8. Sand + salt + wet carseats = stinky big blue van
9. Mosquitos love me (why is that????)
10. I have so much to be grateful for - now I know I don't have to travel all the way to the beach to know that, but a vacation from reality sure is a good time for reflection