Sunday, June 19, 2011
Memories of my dad!
In honor of Father’s Day, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite memories of my dad. He and my hubby are the two greatest men on earth. These two men are shining lights and I’m so grateful for them!
• My daddy and I used to go on frequent dates when I was growing up. He always drove me to Bowling Green for my gymnastics classes and oboe lessons. We always ate out on those nights – just the two of us. Fun times. I especially remember getting a flat tire on the way to gymnastics one night. I wasn’t scared one bit…. Because I was with my daddy!
• When I was in marching band, we had a group of dads called “podium packing papas.” My dad was the leader of this Motley Crew and NEVER EVER missed one of my competitions. And, when I was field commander my senior year, he made sure HE was the one that properly secured the podium for me. He would even climb up and jump on it to make sure it wouldn’t fall down.
• Maybe too much information, but he often had to go buy “the stuff” we girls needed – now that’s a dedicated daddy! He also bought his fair share of panty hose. God love his heart!
• He once drove like a speed demon to Bardstown to rescue me when my car broke down on the way back from Transy. Seriously –he made a normally 1 ½ hour drive in about 50 minutes.
• He didn’t always “love” vacation time, but when we finally got to our destination, he was super fun. He made jokes at restaurants, drove with the windows down and music loud (to embarrass Carol and I, no doubt) and loved to go on early morning walks on the beach. He also loved to play cards on the balcony – I am a total sucker for any kind of games, so you know I loved this!
• His love language is definitely acts of service. He is amazing! When I was in college, he’d always buy me multiple of my favorite snacks and drinks. He never wanted me to have to go out to the grocery by myself. He’s still like this today – when he comes to our house, he often makes several trips to Walmart or Kroger just because “I noticed you were almost out of ____.” He also has mowed our grass and weed eated on numerous occasions – especially when Billy’s out of town.
And now, I get the pleasure of seeing this amazing dad be an even more amazing Pa to my kiddos. He pours his heart and soul into those boys like you wouldn’t believe. If they want it, they get it. He teases them, they tease him back. He sleeps on the floor right beside Jonathan when the boys go to Cave City – just so he’s not scared. He shows them the ropes – like how to spit outside and how to wear work boots with pride and how to drive a tractor and how real men take their shirts off outside. He even teaches them the value of working hard by getting their help with the garden or cooking or whatever activity he’s doing outside.
Simply put, he’s the best! I love you daddy!!!!