Thursday, March 07, 2013

Snow Day Fun


(ps - I'll add pics later!)

I love snow days!  Maybe not in March, but I love them, none the less.  I used to love them as a little girl too.  Now, as a parent, I couldn't wait to watch the news to see if SCPS was cancelled.  Even though I know we are signed up to get a "one call" from the school system telling us they are cancelled, I still like watching the news to wait and see if it comes across the bottom.  Weird?  Probably.  But oh well. 

So, yesterday, we had a snow day.  Only the second this year, and I hope the last, since this momma desperately needs some SUNSHINE!!!  But, since we had a snow day, of course I wanted to make the best of it.  Our day was fun - Jacob even said, "this is the best snow day ever!" several times.  :-)

So, to start, we had an epic game of Life.  Yep, the boys love board games and so do I!  I won, but hey, who's keeping track, right?  Then, after consulting Pinterest, we made a list of several must-do projects. 

First, we took an ordinary bar of Ivory soap and put it in the microwave.  Y'all, if you haven't ever done this.  Do it.  Now.  It is really cool.  Messy, but cool.  It grows into this big ball of white fluff.  So, we used it to make snowy scenes.  (caution - if you are weary of messes, probably not the project for you!).  We glued little pieces of the fluff on blue paper and then created snowmen to go with it.  Then, we jointly created a story titled, "The Snowy Day."  Each of us got to work together by adding one sentence at a time.  We even illustrated it.  It was quite entertaining.  Especially since the house smelled like ivory soap and each time you breathed or moved, little white flakes of the fluffy stuff would fly around.  Cute story.  Weird illustrations.  My kind of fun. 

Then, the boys wanted to play outside (which I detest by the way - I hate being cold!) so I wasn't sad at all that it was time for the boy to eat.  So, I sat in the warmth, fed the boy and watched as they frolicked and threw snow on each other.  Then, they piled all their warm clothes in a heap on the kitchen floor and we had hot cocoa. 

Then, we did an experiment with magnets and pipe cleaners.  Also pretty cool.  No too messy and super easy.  It kept Jonathan occupied for quite some time.  Jacob liked it okay, but it didn't entertain him as long.  Joshua was just along for the ride.  :-) 

For lunch, I made grilled cheese sandwiches and cut out the shape of a snowman - pretzel arms, peanut eyes, ketchup scarves and teenty tiny cheeze-its for snow flakes. Yep, I did that all on my own.  Without Pinterest.  :-) 

After all that, this momma was exhausted and the house was (and still is) a disaster.  So we had some quiet time, which wasn't really quiet - they are boys, after all.  Momma chilled and watched my guilty pleasure - 90210 reruns on SOAP.  We then did some crafty cards for the father-in-law's birthday and called it a day.  I have to admit, I'm always super glad when Daddy walks in the door in the afternoons, but I was REALLY glad yesterday.  I was pooped.  Messy house, smiling kids and a momma still in her jammies to prove it.  Guess what???  I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am blessed. 

No comments: