Monday, February 02, 2009

Daddy's Big Mistake

This past Saturday Daddy did something he will never do again. We were on our way home from Jerry and Amy's house to get some clothes for Jacob. We had been iced out of our house for several days and we needed a change of clothes for the big boy. We arrived home and Jonathan was a sleep, so I decided I would wait in the van with the boys. As mommy went inside to get Jacob some clothes, I unbuckled Jacob and asked him to go to the back of the van. For we were going to change his clothes so I figured I would give him a break and let him out of his car seat. He went to the back of the van and I asked him to watch me as I got the mail. I went outside, got the mail and came back to the van. Then mommy came out the front door and it was still very icy so I went to the steps to help her down. When we made it back to the van, Jacob was in the driver's seat with both hands on the wheel smiling from ear to ear. The van was running and the problem was, Jacob had somehow found the button to lock the van. Mommy and I both paniced for all the doors were locked. Daddy ran inside for the spare keys and ran outside and hit the unlock button, but I learned the doors will not unlock with that button while the van is running. At this point, Jacob had made his way over to the passenger's seat. Mommy somehow had Jacob push the button to let the window down and so mommy quickly unlocked the doors. Jacob thankfully loves buttons. This was one of the most panic-times I can remember, and thank the Lord everything was okay. I have never been so thankful for the fact that you have to have your foot on the break to get the van out of gear. You better believe I will never make that mistake again. Since then, I thought that I should have actually inserted the key into the van to unlock it, but at that moment in time, I was not thinking, not thinking at all.

1 comment:

Tiffany Keene said...

Oh no! Jacob probably just thought he'd take Jonathan for a quick trip around the block! No, he was just teaching Daddy a lesson! :) Love ya'll!