Tuesday, March 22, 2011

a little advice?

So, something weird in the world of mommy-hood happened today and I'm not exactly sure how to handle it (or I guess how to handle it in the future...) There's tons of kids on our street and it is fun in the spring. Everyone is out, running and playing. As soon as we drive up today from getting Jacob from Preschool, a little girl rides up on her bike. She is 5. ONLY 5!!!! She lives at least 8 houses away at the end of our side of the street. So, I told my boys they had to play in the back yard because I was going to cook lunch (thank you fenced in back yard.) Jacob asked the girl to come play. She did. Of course, I don't mind this. The more the merrier! But, I just couldn't get it out of my mind that her parents probably had NO idea where she was and they definitely couldn't see her or her bike if they peeked out to check on her. So I asked her if her parents were home. She said her daddy was and he didn't care if she played. So then, it was lunch time. She asked for lunch too - which again, I totally don't mind, but this whole thing was making me feel super weird. So, I asked her to hop on her bike and ride down and tell her daddy she was at our house and eating lunch. She did and returned really quickly. She ate lunch and stayed another hour or so after that. I hated to, but I asked her to leave since it is rest time. So she rode off back down the street, still not a parent in sight.

so advice??? how should I handle this in the future? I totally welcome her playing here, I just freak out at the thought of my boys going to a complete starnger's house eating lunch and stuff. It's one thing to ride bikes and play in the yards, but inside? Oh me, I just didn't know what to do. My boys were having the time of their lives and she seemed to have fun too. I hate to sound judgmental, but what was her dad thinking???? what if ( I know I'm getting close to crazy on this one) but what if I was a crazy serial killer or pedophile??? She could have been in danger. I know it might seem like overkill, but I don't exactly let the boys out of my sight when they are out front! I keep a close watch on them every second. So, what if the pages were turned and it was my boys who just jumped in cars or asked to go to strangers houses. YIKES!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I would go down there I think and meet her parents. that is just a weird situation. and if you are a serial killer could you go ahead and let me know so I can make sure to not send my boys over there anymore:)

melissaballard said...

We always had a rule that we had to be able to hear my mom's voice if she called for us. Unless we had specifically asked to go inside someone's house. This rule lasted until I was probably in like 7th grade! A 5 year old? I'm sorry, but that is absolutely crazy! You are right. How on earth was her Dad OK with not knowing where she was for HOURS? I would see if it happened again, and if it did, I'm with Katie - go meet the parents. Weird. That's how kids get kidnapped.

Dawn said...

We have a kid like that in our neighborhood; her parents both work odd hours and her older sister, who is old enough to babysit her, doesn't. She is constantly sent "outside" to play alone. Do what you can to meet the parents, give them your number, and love that little girl with everything you can muster. Chances are she's facing the world very much alone.

L Perkins said...

Gosh Sherri this is TOUGH. But I must say you're miles ahead of this other parent, just in the fact that you're thinking about it and showing concern. My best advice would be to go down and meet the parents just so that you know who they are, and down the road if there's any issues it's made clear that you're doing everything to keep their daughter safe-even if they aren't!

Mommy Webb said...

What a great opportunity for her to experience love from you and the boys. I agree about going to talk to the dad.